Use the booking system to book your walking slot. You can book as far in advance as you want to. You can book through the website but if you haven’t got access to the internet you can phone us. We ask that the majority of bookings are done via the website to keep the numbers of phone calls down to allow us to deal with stray dog and dangerous incidents calls. Walking will start at 8am and appointments will be every 20 minutes to avoid people meeting at reception. You will be able to walk up to 4 dogs on your visit. Please read the COVID-19 page for detailed procedures.
When you have your appointment
On arrival you will come in the door that is open in the reception block if there is anyone in reception you must wait outside. There is a one way system and anyone who is in reception will come out the door marked NO ENTRY and then you can come in. Go straight to the handwashing facility on your left wash your hands for 20 seconds and follow the arrows to the reception window standing behind the tape on the floor. We will then tell you what to do next depending on the nature of your visit. Hand sanitiser is also available.
We have a backlog of around 300 people waiting for an induction date. We are not in a position to re-start this at the moment but we are planning to as part of phase 2 of our re-opening plan. Please consult this web page for updates. We won’t take further bookings until we have cleared the backlog. Anyone who has registered for an induction place but no longer wants to be included should email the Dogs Home inbox – email@example.com
We have been overwhelmed by the offers of help from all our supporters and we look forward to welcoming you all back when it safe.
A huge thank you from all the team and the dogs at Cardiff Dogs Home.
Please keep safe.
There are measures in place to ensure your safety and our staff team’s safety too. Everyone must maintain 2m distance from everyone while at the Dogs Home.
We really value your help all year round. We look forward to welcoming you back when it is safe.
During lockdown we have changed our operations and when we re-open the service will be very different. The kennels will not be open for people to go in and look around. The kennels have been much quieter and more relaxed for the dogs without people walking around looking at them. We will be an appointment only service so please don’t turn up without one.
Steps to rehoming
- Do some research on the breed, age and size to see what dog might best suit your lifestyle.
- Decide on the dog that you are interested in re-homing.
- Complete the online application form and attach photos in a small size format. If you do not complete all the sections your application will not go through.
- We will look at your application and if we think you are a good match we will contact you to discuss the application in detail. If we are happy that you are a good match with the dog you have applied for we will invite you to come down to do introductions and if this is successful we will allow you to foster the dog for 2 weeks to be sure that this is going to work for you and the dog! We will have regular contact with you during this period and at the end of it we will re-home the dog to you permanently. If we don’t think you are a good match for the dog you have applied for or that dog has already been matched, we will recommend another dog if we feel we have one that is a good match with you.
- Introductions to be done with any other pets, adults or children who will live at the home.
- Our decision making will be based on;
- The application form
- The outcome of introductory meetings
- The outcome of introductions to other pets and children
- What the needs of the particular dog are and how that matches with your circumstances
- Vet references (medical history of your current or previous dog)
- Written permission to have a dog at your property (if in rented property)
- Home check (if required)
- The dog’s behavioural assessment – All home checks will be done via video call and photos for the foreseeable future.
The standard re-homing fee is £250 puppies and other dogs are priced individually between £200 – £500.
This fee includes the first and second vaccinations, micro-chipping and initial flea and worm treatments.
We do not provide re-funds for dogs that are returned but we may allow another dog to be re-homed free of charge depending on the circumstances of the return.
Cardiff Dogs Home does not provide this service on site at the moment. We will explain the process for people who re-home dogs from us before the adoption takes place.