Re-Homing Process 2020
All the dogs that need homes will be posted on the website on Monday 27 July. Our new rehoming process will go live on the same day.
Steps to rehoming
- Do some research on the breed, age and size to see what dog might best suit your lifestyle.
- Decide on the dog that you are interested in re-homing.
- Complete an Application form here and email it with supplementary information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have an introduction with the dog to see how the dog responds to you and vice versa. Please understand that we deal mostly with stray dogs and the information we can give you will be limited.
- Introductions to be done with any other pets, adults or children who will live at the home. We will look at your application and if we think you are a good match we will contact you to discuss the application in detail. If we are happy that you are a good match to the dog you have applied for we will invite you to come down to do introductions and if this is successful we will allow you to foster the dog for 2 weeks to be sure that this is going to work for you and the dog! We will have regular contact with you during this period and at the end of it we will re-home the dog to you permanently. If we don’t think you are a good match for the dog you have applied for or that dog has already been matched, we will recommend another dog if we feel we have one that is a good match with you.
Our decision making will be based on;
- The application form
- The outcome of introductory meetings
- The outcome of introductions to other pets and children
- What the needs of the particular dog are and how that matches with your circumstances
- Vet references (medical history of your current or previous dog)
- Written permission to have a dog at your property (if in rented property)
- Home check (if required)
- The dog’s behavioural assessment.
- All home checks will be done via video call and photos for the foreseeable future.
The standard re-homing fee is £150 and puppies are £170 with other dogs priced individually between £160 – £300.
This fee includes the first vaccination, micro-chipping, initial flea and worm treatments. The second vaccination will cost £15.
We do not provide re-funds for dogs that are returned but we may allow another dog to be re-homed free of charge depending on the circumstances of the return.
Cardiff Dogs Home does not provide this service on site at the moment. We will explain the process for people who re-home dogs from us before the adoption takes place.